Friday, March 31, 2006

Jason Ghikadis: skiing, music, life

This evening I had a nice chat with Jason Ghikadis, an old friend from the glory days of the ski scene, circa 1999-2000. Jay was one of the first non Smart Mogul Skiing campers I met who had seen Degenerates and was knowledgeable about the movement. Anyway, he is a super talented guy in so many respects; he was the first among my friends to achieve sponsorship, as well as film with Meathead films
( www.meatheadfilms.com)and Theory-3 Media ( www.theory-3.com). In a lot of ways, Jason was one of the founders of the underground ski video scene that remains popular to this day. Anyway, as we we were catching up tonight, Jason and I talked about the pitfalls of sponsorship, and he captured in one sentence what i've been searching for:

" its every kids dream to make it. plus the extreme sports factor is huge. but you're right, the drive to make it my job really spoiled what it was all about."

I almost cried when those words came out. I couldn't agree more. While I totally respect the drive that alot of riders have to achieve sponsorship and ride for a living, I think it needs to come naturally. It can't be forced; either you have it or you don't. If you don't hold the talent to make it a career, just enjoy the moment and take it for what it is. Skiing is a super fun sport practiced in the outdoors with your family and best friends. Nothing more, nothing less. Here are some great photos that Jason and I certainly enjoyed checking out together some years ago:

( by the way Jason is making music these days, so be sure to check out www.myspace.com/bozquo )






Crimson Posse Productions circa 1999. Ghikadis gets the cover with a sunset shot.



God bless JP Auclair. The most creative man on skis.



Cover of Focus, circa 2003. Ghikadis' best seggie, according to him.



Liam, myself, Jason, Waldie: the first Level 1 Premiere in Montreal.